You choose specialization in
You learnDepending on your choice of subjects:
- mathematics and other natural sciences
- administration and economics
- history, politics and psychology
- other theoretical subjects
You should be
- interested in working with theoretical subjects
- cooperative, structured and self-disciplined
- interested in writing or calculations
- interested in cultural and social issues
- general university admissions certification and can take higher education
If you take higher education, you can, among other things, become
- a nurse, a doctor or a veterinarian
- an engineer, a lawyer or an economist
- a teacher, a psychologist or a scientist
You can also take an education for other professions – with general university admissions certification you can apply to most studies at university colleges and universities.
Work places may be
- hospital, courts of law, police station or municipal administration
- lawyers– offices, consultancy agencies or engineering companies;
- kindergartens, schools or universities
Admission to higher education
With general university admissions certification you may apply to most studies at university colleges and universities. However, some studies have special admission requirements:
- Admission tests: Some studies require a practical admission test. Examples of such studies are creative or sports studies.
- Science requirements: Some studies require you to have certain science subjects. Examples of such studies are engineering, science and medical studies. You will find the admission requirements for university colleges and universities at samordnaopptak.no. In some education programmes it may be difficult to find room on the timetable to choose all the sciences you need. If you take specialization in general studies with natural science and mathematics at Vg2 and Vg3 you stand the best chance of being able to take the sciences you need.
Choice of subjects in the education programme for specialization in general studies
- If you take natural sciences or languages, social sciences and economics, you choose two programme subjects at Vg2 that you must continue at Vg3. This is called specialization. These programme subjects must be from your programme area.
- You must choose two more programme subjects, one at Vg2 and one at Vg3. These can be from your programme area or from another programme area in an education programme with specialization in general studies (for instance sciences or foreign languages). You do not have to continue optional programme subjects at the next level.
- Did you not have a foreign language in the lower secondary school? In this case, you must take a foreign language as a common core subject on Vg3 instead of the optional programme subject on Vg3.
- There are special rules for choice of subjects if you choose mathematics R1/S1 as a programme subject at Vg2.
- It is up to the school to decide whih programme subjects they offer.
- Do you have special dreams for the future? If so, you should check the admission requirements for the study programme before you choose subjects.
- Programme subjects in foreign languages and sciences award bonus points for admission to higher education.