The main rule is that you must apply and be offered a placement in the county you live in.* However, it is still possible to apply for a placement in other counties.
Schemes where applicants have equal priority
- Some neighbouring counties have special agreements for offering places across the county boundaries. Such agreements may apply to a specific group of applicants, e.g. applicants who live near a school in the neighbouring county. You can read more about this in the information from your county below.
- Applicants from all counties may apply to national courses or nationwide programmes
- Applicants from all counties may apply to state-owned schools and independent schools as well as schooling on Svalbard.
If you apply for a school placement that is covered by the schemes mentioned above, you compete on an equal footing with other applicants, regardless of whether you live in the county where the school is or not.
* It is the address you are registered at in the National Register on 1 March (or another date the county has stipulated) that applies. If you are going to move with or to your parents/guardians in another county after the application deadline, you must contact the admissions office in this county for information about which rules and documentation requirements that apply. Read more about relocation.
Applicants from other counties are prioritized lower than those who live in the county
In addition to the schemes mentioned above, it is possible to apply for a school place in another county than where you live, but you will be prioritized lower than those who live in the county.
The following rules apply when you apply for a place in another county:
- You must register a separate application on vigo.no that is entered in the county where the school lies.
- The applicants who live in the county are offered placements first.
- After this, applicants with priority from other counties are offered placements.*
- If there still are vacant places at the school and programme area you are applying to, you may compete your way in based on your grades.
- If there are vacant places and the county can offer you a place, you will in most cases not be notified about this before the final admission in August.
Read information from your county below. The admissions office in the county you are applying to, can also give you more information.* Prioritized applicants from other counties (prioritized guest pupil)
- Applicants with rights as a young person with weighty social or educational reasons to go to school in another county than their home county may apply to be awarded priority in this county (this is called prioritized guest pupil).
- Applicants with rights as a young person with the right to be taught in Sami, and who need to go to school in another county to receive teaching in Sami/instruction using Sami or in special Sami subjects, may also apply to be prioritized.
- Contact the admissions office in the county where the school lies for more information about conditions and procedure and information about how you apply. Register the application itself on vigo.no, enter it in the county where the school lies.
The admissions office can give you additional information.
Choose your county!
These counties have additional information for this topic: