Healthcare, childhood and youth development

You learn

  • about health-promoting work
  • about physical and mental health
  • about the anatomy of the body
  • about communication and interaction
  • about the development of children and young people
  • about diet, nutrition and hygiene

You should be

  • caring and considerate when dealing with other people
  • good at communication
  • good at interacting with others

You can become

  • a health worker, an ambulance service technician or a hospital orderly
  • an occupational therapist or a childcare and youth worker
  • a pharmacy technician, a medical secretary or a dental assistant
  • a skin care worker, a chiropodist or an orthopaedic technician
    See all vocations and competences

Work places

  • hospitals or the home nursing service
  • kindergartens or day care facilities for school children
  • pharmacies, dentist’s or doctor’s surgeries
  • foot clinics or skin care salons

More education

Vocational education and training lead to vocational competence (with or without a trade or journeyman’s certificate). After completing vocational education and training you can start working or take further education:

  • You can take further education at a tertiary vocational college. A tertiary vocational education is a short vocational further education meant for those who have taken vocational education and training.
  • You can take a Vg3 supplementary programme for general university admissions certification
    – after Vg2 or
    – after achieving vocational competence.
    You will then have the option to take higher education at a university college or university. Remember that some study programmes, such as for instance engineering, science and medical studies, require you to have certain science subjects.
  • You can also apply for admission to higher education after a preliminary course or by the Y-path, the vocational pathway to higher education. The Y-path is intended for those with relevant vocational experience. Preliminary courses and the Y-path are most commonly used for science and engineering studies.