Building and construction

You learn

    • producing and erecting new buildings and facilities
    • renovating and maintaining buildings and facilities
    • climate and technology 
    • using drawings, descriptions and calculations 
    • quality and safety
    • knowledge about materials

    You should be

    • practically minded and be good at working with your hands
    • independent and meticulous
    • good at cooperating with others

    You can become

    • a road and construction worker or an asphalter
    • a landscaper, a gardener or a construction machinery operator
    • a painter, a bricklayer, a carpenter or a plumber
    • a scaffolder, a roofer or a tinsmith
    • a wood products carpenter or a glazier
      See all vocations and competences

    Work places

    • public or private enterprises
    • large or small craft enterprises
    • industrial or entrepreneurial enterprises

    More education

    Vocational education and training lead to vocational competence (with or without a trade or journeyman’s certificate). After completing vocational education and training you can start working or take further education:

    • You can take further education at a tertiary vocational college. A tertiary vocational education is a short vocational further education meant for those who have taken vocational education and training.
    • You can take the master certificate examination if you have the trade or journeyman’s certificate in a trade that comes under the master craftsman’s programme, and have sufficient experience. The master course of studies qualifies you for a management or middle-management position within your trade area, and gives you the competence to start up your own company.
    • You can take a Vg3 supplementary programme for general university admissions certification
      – after Vg2 or
      – after achieving vocational competence.
      You will then have the option to take higher education at a university college or university. Remember that some study programmes, such as for instance engineering, science and medical studies, require you to have certain science subjects.
    • You can also apply for admission to higher education after a preliminary course or by the Y-path, the vocational pathway to higher education. The Y-path is intended for those with relevant vocational experience. Preliminary courses and the Y-path are most commonly used for science and engineering studies.