In upper secondary education there are about 185 programme areas that lead to vocational qualifications with a trade or journeyman’s certificate.These are called recognized trades. In recognized trades you start your training in the upper secondary school and usually you finish with in-service training in a training establishment as an apprentice or training candidate. This is also called vocational training.
You have to apply for an apprenticeship; you can find more information below.
A description of which qualifications you are to have achieved after completing your training in a recognized trade can be found under the trade that the training can lead to.
Autumn – Choose recognized trade
- Collect information about which recognized trades your Vg2 leads to.See education programmes and programme areas.
- Get more information about relevant vocations and educational paths.
- Find information about relevant training establishments. On the pages dealing with the education programmes (for instance carpentry) you can find an overview of which training establishments and vocational offices provide training in the different recognized trades.
- The vocational training office in your county, your school counsellor and your teachers can help you with information about relevant training establishments.
- Use your opportunity for in-service placement in the vocational specialization subject.
Winter – Application on vigo.no with MinID and to training establishment
How to apply for an apprenticeship?
- Keep updated through newspapers and the Internet and apply for advertised places, in or outside your own county. See also overview of vocational offices and training establishments on vilbli.no.
- Personally contact relevant training establishments and see if they have any opportunities for apprenticeships.
- Apply for placement on vigo.no. You must do this even if you are also applying for an apprenticeship in other ways.
- Log in with MinID. Read about how to log in to vigo.no and about help with MinID.
- Remember to print a receipt for your application.
- You can change your mobile phone number and email address on vigo.no up until 1 July (in most counties). After this date you must give notification to the admissions office in your county. Remember that you must also update your mobile phone number and email address in MinID.
See also How to apply for an apprenticeship
Make sure you have PIN codes for MinID well ahead of the application deadline.
Summer – Assignment and job interview
How is your application dealt with?
- The county tries to place you in apprenticeships in the trade you have applied for.
- You may be referred to apprenticeships in trades you have not applied for, but which build on your Vg2.
- It is the enterprise itself that chooses who to offer an apprenticeship.
- You will usually be invited to an interview. Remember to be accessible on your phone as long as placements are being mediated - until approx. 1 September.
Have you been offered an apprenticeship?
- Remember that the training establishment must send a confirmation to the admissions office or the vocational training office in your home county.
- If you say no to an offer of an apprenticeship in a training establishment that the county has found for you, you are not entitled to any more offers.
Have you not been offered an apprenticeship?
- The county can offer you alternative training at Vg3 in school if you have a statutory right to upper secondary school and training.
Remember to be accessible on your phone as long as placements are being mediated - until approx. 1 September!
Choose your county!
These counties have additional information for this topic: